Joseph, Sr. OyerAbt 1774 - Abt 1845 (~ 71 years)
Name Joseph, Sr. Oyer [1, 2] Born Abt 1774 Wilgartswiesen, Palatinate, GR 
- Hermersbergerhof, near Landau. Calculated date from marriage document. (30 years at the time)
Gender Male Residence Abt 1807-1830 Niderhoff, Moselle, FR
- Miller at Niderhoff
Immigration 12 Dec 1830 New Orleans, LA 
- Ship Superior
Residence 1831 Butler Co., OH
- In 1838 To IL
PURC 20 Aug 1838 Tazewell Co., IL 
- From Peter Ringenberg, brother-in-law
Died Abt 1845 Groveland, Tazewell Co., IL Census 1860 Groveland Twp., Tazewell Co., IL
- Listed as a Farmer, age 42, with wife Ann, age 33, both born in France, and children all born in Illinois:
Joseph age 15; Catharine 14; Ann 12; Peter 10; John 8; Christian 6; Madaline 4; Mary 1; and Catharine Shrock age 64, widow born in France.
Occupation Miller at Hemersbergerhof near Landau (compagnon meunier)/Farmer in America Buried Farmdale, Tazewell Co., IL
- In a plot at the edge of the property line of his brother Jacob’s farm.
Person ID I342 Schrock-Birkey Connection Last Modified 20 Apr 2019
Father Johannes (Hans) Oyer, b. Abt 1750, d. 1833, Butler Co., OH (Age ~ 83 years) Mother Jakobine Regle’ (Ruschli, Roeschly), b. Abt 1750, Scheppach, Haut-Rhin, FR , d. 20 Mar 1820, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR (Age ~ 70 years) Family ID F157 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family 1 Catherine Schrag, b. Abt 1783, St. Avold, Moselle, FR , d. 14 May 1823, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR (Age ~ 40 years) Married 27 Dec 1804 Gondrexange, Moselle, FR [6, 7]
- 10 Nivose 13 - at Ketzing?
- In her marriage record, Catherine’s surname is spelled “Schrack.” A rough translation of the vital statistic is: This record 6 (10?) nivo an 13 is the mariage of Joseph Oyer 30 years old born compagnon (companion or comrade) miller living in Gondrexange son of Jean Oyer and Jacobine Regle, and Catherine Schrack 21 years old born Oderfang, living in Gondrexange, major (of majority years) daughter of deceased Gaspard Schrack, miller and of deceased Marie Blazer (Blaser) living in Rhodes before death. Witnesses: Joseph Schrag born 1772/1773 son of Gaspard Schraque and Barbe Rouvenac, married 13 Aug 1798 with Marie Engel (1772-1819).
Another marriage document on file is “extrait du registre des actes de mariage de la commune de Gondrexange”--meaning it is a copy made (it could be 12 Oct 1823). This second record could be with regard to some census taken, as there is a seal on the record that includes the word census.
Joseph Oyer was 30 years old and living in Gondrexange at the time of his marriage.
Catherine was 21 years old (majeur fille, majority years), born in Oderfang, living in Gondrexange. Her parents had died before her marriage.
Joseph Schrock, age 32, brother of Catherine, living at Gondrexange.
Children 1. Magdalena Oyer, b. 31 Aug 1805, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 15 Nov 1888, Milford, Seward Co., NE (Age 83 years) 2. Catherine Oyer, b. 4 Oct 1807, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 17 Sep 1808, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR (Age 0 years) 3. Catherine Oyer, b. 15 Oct 1809, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 15 Nov 1897, Eureka, Woodford Co., IL (Age 88 years) 4. Anna Oyer, b. 29 Nov 1811, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 5 Aug 1855, East Peoria, Tazewell Co., IL (Age 43 years) 5. Joseph, Jr Oyer, b. 29 Jan 1814, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 16 Aug 1866, Farmdale, Tazewell Co., IL (Age 52 years) 6. Johannes (John) Oyer, b. 9 Sep 1816, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 12 Mar 1872, Woodford Co., IL (Age 55 years) 7. Peter Oyer, b. 15 Oct 1818, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 14 Jun 1890, IL (Age 71 years) 8. Christian Oyer, b. 11 Dec 1820, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 9 Jul 1904, IL (Age 83 years) 9. Marie (Mary) Oyer, b. 16 Apr 1823, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 22 Nov 1893, Deer Creek, Washington Twp., Tazewell Co., IL (Age 70 years) Last Modified 1 Mar 2019 Family ID F148 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family 2 Magdalena Litwiller, b. 30 Mar 1801, Kerprich-Aux-Bois, Moselle, FR , d. 1861/2, Livingston Co., IL (Age 60 years) Married 20 Nov 1823 Niderhoff, Moselle, FR 
- Joseph’s brother Jacob was a witness to the marriage.
Children 1. Barbara Oyer, b. 20 Aug 1824, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 30 Oct 1881 (Age 57 years) 2. Andrew Oyer, b. 27 Feb 1829, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 27 Jun 1916, Sterling, KS (Age 87 years) 3. Elizabeth Oyer, b. 23 Apr 1828, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 21 Mar 1896, Foosland, Champaign Co., IL (Age 67 years) 4. David Oyer, b. 26 Apr 1830, Niderhoff, Moselle, FR , d. 7 Jul 1891 (Age 61 years) 5. Veronica (Fannie) Oyer, b. 1834, Butler Co., OH , d. 30 May 1872, Gridley, McLean Co., IL (Age 38 years) 6. Josephine (Phoebe) Oyer, b. 1 Aug 1838, Tazewell Co., IL , d. 28 May 1929 (Age 90 years) Last Modified 9 Mar 2019 Family ID F149 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Event Map = Link to Google Earth
- Joseph lived near Turquestein, in the village of Niderhoff, where he was the community's miller. Joseph was married first to Catherine Schrag. Joseph Oyer and family and his brother Jacob Oyer and family and their 85-year-old father, Johannes Oyer, along with others came to America in 1830. He made the voyage with his wife and twelve children: Magdalena, Catherine, Anna, Joseph, John, Peter, Christian, Mary, Elisabeth/Barbara, Andrew, Elise/Elisabeth, David. Eight of these children were born to Joseph's first wife, Catherine. They sailed from the port of LeHavre, France, and after a 53-day trip across the ocean landed at the port of New Orleans in November. After living a while in Butler County, Ohio, the Joseph Oyer family moved to Tazewell County, Illinois. 
- [S199] The Oyer Family Comes to America, Verle Oyer.
- [S354] Closing the Circle:The European Journey of a Father and Son, Part II, Gordon Oyer.
- [S312] Closing the Circle: The European Journey of a Father and Son, Gordon Oyer, 1776.
- [S143] Amish Emigration Through Le Havre, Verle and Gordon Oyer.
- [S181] The Rinkenberger Family, Ardys Serpette.
- [S398] Amish Mennonites in Tazewell Co., Joseph Staker, Date.
- [S175] Marriage Record of Catherine Schrag and Joseph Oyer, Sr.
- [S1053] Les anabaptistes de l’arrondissement de Sarrebourg, Jean-Claude Koffel, (Self-published).
- [S199] The Oyer Family Comes to America, Verle Oyer.